The University of Lagos, fondly called UNILAG, is a prestigious federal university located in Lagos State, Nigeria. Established in 1962, UNILAG has grown into a world-class university, attracting top students from across Nigeria and beyond.
Some Facts About UNILAG
The following are some facts about UNILAG:
UNILAG offers over 100 undergraduate and postgraduate programs across 13 faculties. Some of the most popular courses are in the faculties of Arts, Engineering, and Management Sciences. UNILAG is renowned for its high academic standards and produces graduates that are in high demand.
2. Student Life
With over 50,000 students, UNILAG has a vibrant campus life. There are numerous student organizations, clubs and societies to get involved in, from academic associations to recreational and faith-based groups. Sports and culture also play a big role in student life, with major sporting events and an annual cultural week. UNILAG aims to produce well-rounded graduates, so extracurricular activities are encouraged.
3. Admission Requirements
To gain admission into UNILAG, you need to meet the minimum entry requirements which include 5 credits at SSCE/WASSCE including English and Math. For competitive courses, you need higher scores. UNILAG administers post-UTME screening for eligible candidates. The admission process is very competitive, so you need to prepare well to stand a good chance.
UNILAG Admission Requirements
The following are the admission requirements:
1. Academic Qualifications
To apply as an undergraduate, you’ll need a minimum of 5 credits in SSCE/WASSCE, NECO, NABTEB, or approved equivalents with credit passes in 3 core subjects – English, Mathematics, and any other 2 subjects depending on your intended course of study. For some courses, a credit pass in a science subject may be required.
2. Age Requirement
You must be at least 16 years of age to apply for undergraduate programs and at least 20 for postgraduate programs. There’s no upper age limit, so don’t let that hold you back from furthering your education.
3. Application Fees
You will need to pay a non-refundable application fee. For undergraduate Nigerian applicants, the fee is N5,000. For international undergraduate applicants, the fee is $150. Postgraduate application fees are N7,500 for Nigerians and $200 for international students.
4. Document Requirements
To complete your application, you will need to submit several documents:
- Copies of your academic credentials
- A copy of your birth certificate or sworn affidavit of age declaration
- Copies of your NYSC discharge certificate or exemption letter (for graduate applicants)
- Reference letters from two referees who can attest to your character and academic ability
- A copy of your passport photograph
How to Apply for Admission to UNILAG
To apply for admission to the University of Lagos (UNILAG), there are a few key steps you’ll need to take. Follow these guidelines carefully to maximize your chances of getting accepted into this prestigious university.
1. Meet the Minimum Admission Requirements
First, ensure you meet the minimum admission requirements for the program you want to apply for.
This typically includes:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE), West African School Certificate (WASC), or National Examination Council (NECO) with credits in at least 5 subjects including English Language and Mathematics.
- For some programs, certain subject combinations and minimum scores are required. Check the admission requirements for your desired course of study.
- The minimum age for admission is 16 years. Some programs may require you to be 17 or older.
- For undergraduate admission, you’ll also need to take the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and score at least 180 points.
2. Apply for Admission
- Apply online at admissions.unilag.edu.ng. You’ll need to create an account and fill out an application with personal details like your name, address, qualifications, and UTME details.
- Scan and upload all required documents like your birth certificate, qualifying exam results, and a recent passport photo.
- Pay the ₦5,000 application fee. This can be paid online using your ATM card.
- Submit one printed copy of your application to the university. Keep records of your submission for your records.
3. Await Admission Decision
After applying, check the admission status portal regularly for updates. If admitted, you’ll receive an admission letter with details on acceptance fees and registration. Not all applicants who meet the minimum criteria are admitted, so even strong candidates should apply to multiple schools.
4. Accept Your Admission Offer
If offered admission, you must accept within the deadline given to secure your spot. This typically involves paying an acceptance fee and other registration fees like accommodation fees. Amounts vary by program. Failure to accept an offer within the deadline could result in your spot being given to another candidate.
READ ALSO- How to Check Your JAMB Result Online
Hope you enjoyed this article, and I would like you to always visit our website for more updates like this. If you have any questions regarding this article, do well to drop them in the comment section.